Fanny Tottie (b.1824)
Frances Catherine Tottie (b.1824), known as Fanny, was a wealthy Yorkshire lady with connections to noted local artist George Walker (1781-1856).
Fanny Tottie (née Garforth) was daughter of James Garforth, for whom Coniston Hall near Gargrave, North Yorkshire was built. Fanny’s grandfather, Peter Garforth, was the wealthy owner of Bell Busk Mill and backer of the Leeds-Liverpool Canal.
Fanny married John William Tottie, of Leeds, a JP and Barrister (the only son of Thomas William Tottie, a prominent Leeds solicitor). Her father died prematurely in 1852, and thereafter Fanny and John Tottie took up residence at Coniston Hall.
This accomplished collection of paintings includes British and Continental views. Fanny Tottie travelled extensively and produced drawings around Yorkshire, Devon, Scotland, Ireland and Wales, as well as further afield in Switzerland and Germany. Fanny Tottie had connections to artist George Walker, who lived at Killingbeck Lodge in Leeds. Walker, best known for his local subjects and his commission to illustrate “The Costume of Yorkshire”, 1814, also travelled to Italy, Switzerland and France. It is likely that Fanny Tottie was influenced by, or even taught by, George Walker.There are also three superb paintings in the collection that are by different hands, and were likely collected by Fanny through her acquaintances and travels.