An original 1842 graphite drawing, Edward Ford St Martin's Priory, Dover.
An interesting drawing depicting the old Norman building of Dover Priory. The priory fell into disrepair after the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the 16th century, and most of the buildings on the site were demolishing during the first half on the 19th century.
Laid down on backing paper.
Initialled and dated lower left. Inscribed lower right.
The paper is trimmed at the right edge, partially through the inscription as shown. There are minor glue marks to the backing paper at the left as shown.
16.7cm x 10.9cm.
This work forms part of an attractive collection of pictures once owned by Elizabeth Hill Winchester Ford, wife of Edward Ford Esq (b.1813) of Enfield Old Park, estate owner and Magistrate for Middlesex and the City of Westminster. Edward Ford wrote 'A History of Enfield in the County of Middlesex', 1873. Many of the works are by Edward Ford himself, a talented artist, and date from 1834 to 1848. Edward Ford was son of John Ford of Morecambe Lodge, Lancashire, and a number of the pictures are scenes in Lancashire, Cumbria and Yorkshire.
Other works in the collection are by figures who were presumably friends of the family, including William Henry Leatham, MP for Wakefield, and artists George Harley (1791-1871) and Edward Kennion (1744–1809). The collection passed to John Walker Ford, son of Edward and Elizabeth, who has annotated a number of the pictures, including information that Edward Kennion was drawing teacher to his grandmother, Elizabeth Walker.
Text copyright © 2016 Somerset & Wood Fine Art Ltd. All rights reserved.
Product code: JE-359