An original 1853 graphite drawing, Frances Mary Perring Church View.
Inscribed lower right: "F.M. Perring fecit June 1853". There is an indistinct description lower left, possibly naming the church.
Minor foxing as shown. There are two short repaired tears, to the left and right edges, and minor creasing upper right.
15.8cm x 15.3cm.
This picture is from a collection of superb 19th-century works associated with the Bath area, possibly once owned by Lady Frances Mary Perring. The collection includes landscapes by Joseph Horlor (1809-1887), as well as drawings by, and drawn for, Lady Perring. An inscription on the verso of one drawing suggests that Horlor was possibly Perring’s drawing teacher.Frances Mary Perring was a 19th-century Lady, who moved in the aristocratic circles of the West Country. Born Frances Mary Roe, only daughter of Henry Roe Esq of Gnaton, in 1825 she married Sir Philip Perring, Rector of North Huish, Devonshire, son of Sir John Perring, bart. Membland. Our collection of drawings evidences that as well as being an accomplished amateur artist herself, she was gifted drawings by artistic friends, including Joseph Horlor. She resided in Lansdown Crescent in Bath.